The navigation route at the mouth of the Estuary has recently changed in order to compensate for the movement of Pole Sands, a large sandbank at the mouth of the estuary which naturally shifts over time. A notice to mariners is available on the Exeter City Council website.
Navigation maps are available from local chandlers
20A High St, Topsham, Exeter, Devon, EX3 0EA
Tel: 01392 876654 Web: www.ashmarine.co.uk¿
Retreat Boatyard (Topsham)
The Retreat Drive, Topsham, Exeter, Devon, EX3 0LS
Tel: 01392 874720 Web: www.retreatboatyard.co.uk/
32 Fore St, Topsham, Exeter, Devon, EX3 0HD
Tel: 0870 260 2501
Exe Boat Sales
Pierhead, Exmouth, Devon, EX8 1DU
Tel: 01395 222727 Web: wwwexeboatsales.co.uk
The Harbour Authority
The Harbour Authority for the Exe Estuary is Exeter City Council meaning that they are responsible for:
Moorings - from Topsham quay to the sea
- Use of public quay at Topsham for boating activities
- Provision of buoyage throughout the estuary
- Hydrographical surveys of channel and clearance of wrecks
- Navigation bylaw monitoring with merchant shipping regulations control.
- Provision of pilotage
- Navigation and Safety of boats and sea going vessels
- A document stating the bye laws of the River Exe is available here
- The Starcross Yacht Club give some tips for navigating the Exe Estuary - available here
- Surveys of the channel in the vicinity of the Bar are carried out annually and buoyage changes are done as necessary and as approved by Trinity House.